This Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs recipe is easy to make, and the chicken comes out flavorful and succulent every time. It’s an easy weeknight meal that’s become a staple in my house.
It costs $4.22 to make four servings of this recipe. The price per serving is just $1.05.
Do you love the simplicity of cooking with your Instant Pot? Me too! Here are a few of my favorite Instant Pot recipes: Instant Pot Pork Chops with Mushroom Gravy, Instant Pot Meatloaf, and Instant Pot Miso Soup.
For a simple and flavorful meal, Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs made in the Instant Pot is the way to go! You saute the chicken and cook the sauce all in one pot. The Instant Pot does all the hard work for you.
This Chinese-inspired dish is made with tender and juicy chicken thighs that are then covered in a sweet and savory sauce. The whole meal is entirely mouthwatering!
I love how quickly the Honey Garlic Chicken cooks in the Instant Pot. While you can make this in a slow cooker, it is faster to use the Instant Pot. This will become a recipe you add to your menu rotation because everyone will enjoy it.
INGREDIENTS AND COST
Per Serving Cost: $1.05
Recipe Cost: $4.22
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs – $2.40
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil – $0.08
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce – $0.18
- 1 Tablespoon honey – $0.17
- ¼ cup water – $0.00
- 2 large garlic cloves – $0.06
- 1 teaspoon ginger – $0.01
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch – $0.02
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil – $0.03
- ½ teaspoon sriracha – $0.01
- 6 cups cooked rice – $1.26
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- First, turn the Instant on to the Saute setting. Add oil.
- Next, season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Then add the chicken thighs to the Instant Pot. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Then flip the chicken and cook on the other side for another minute.
- Using a small bowl, make the sauce by mixing together the soy sauce, water, honey, garlic, cornstarch, ginger, sesame oil, and sriracha. Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and cook on Manual-High pressure for 10 minutes. Release the steam manually by switching the valve to the “venting” position.
- Remove the chicken and set the Instant Pot to the Saute setting. Make a slurry by mixing together two teaspoons of the cooking liquid with one teaspoon of cornstarch.
- Pour the slurry in the Instant Pot and whisk it until no lumps remain. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Finally, return the chicken to the Instant Pot and cover it in the sauce. Serve with rice and sauce.
SERVE: You can keep the chicken out for about two hours before you need to cover it and place it in the refrigerator.
STORE: Store any leftover chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
FREEZE: Once the chicken is cooled, place it in a freezer-safe container or storage bag and freeze for 2-3 months.
DEFROST: Defrost at room temperature for about 4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
REHEAT: Warm the chicken in a 350 degree F oven for 10-20 minutes, or until heated through.
- Instant Pot
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden mixing spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Liquid measuring cup
The flavorful sauce is made using simple ingredients. Those ingredients include soy sauce, water, honey, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, and sriracha. The ingredients are mixed together and then poured over the chicken thighs to cook in the Instant Pot. After removing the chicken, leave the sauce in the Instant Pot and set it to saute to thicken it with a slurry. The result is a delicious sauce to pour over the chicken.
For this dish, I recommend serving it with rice. You may also enjoy serving this Oven Roasted Broccoli alongside the Honey Garlic Chicken.
MORE CHICKEN RECIPES
- Broiled Chicken Thighs
- Classic Chicken Parmesan
- Slow Cooker Cornish Hens
- Easy Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
- Grilled Chicken Skewers
- Gas Grill Chicken Breasts
- Grilled Hawaiian Chicken Thighs
- Easy Oven Baked Chicken Thighs
- Crockpot Shredded Chicken Tacos
- Chicken Divan Casserole
Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs
- 4 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
HONEY GARLIC SAUCE:
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 2 large garlic cloves minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch divided
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon sriracha
FOR SERVING AND GARNISHES:
- 6 cups cooked rice
- sesame seeds optional
- sliced green onion optional
PREHEAT INSTANT POT:
- Heat the Instant Pot to the Saute-Normal function.
PREP AND BROWN CHICKEN:
- Season the chicken thighs lightly with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Add the olive oil to the Instant Pot. Once it is hot, add the chicken thighs, skin side down. Allow the chicken thighs to cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the skin has started to crisp and turn golden brown. The chicken should release easily from the pan, If you have to pull, it’s not ready to flip yet.
- Flip the chicken thighs over and cook for an additional minute.
MIX HONEY GARLIC SAUCE:
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, water, honey, garlic, 1 teaspoon cornstarch, ginger, sesame oil, and sriracha. Pour the sauce over the chicken.
PRESSURE COOK CHICKEN:
- Attach the lid and ensure the valve is in the sealing position. Set the Instant Pot to Pressure Cook-Manual-High Pressure for 10 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot has finished cooking, release the steam manually by switching the valve to the “venting” position.
THICKEN HONEY GARLIC SAUCE:
- Remove the chicken thighs from the Instant Pot and turn the Instant Pot to the Saute-Normal function.
- Combine 2 teaspoons of the cooking liquid with the remaining 1 teaspoon of cornstarch to make a slurry.
- Add the slurry to the Instant Pot and whisk it in to ensure no lumps of cornstarch remain. Cook 3-5 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Return the chicken thighs to the Instant Pot and coat them generously with the sauce.
- Serve the chicken thighs with rice and additional sauce.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions, both optional.