Cook’s Note: Cranberry Chicken Salad:
- Although the canned chicken is already cooked, I like to heat it up and season it with salt and pepper. I find this adds more flavor to the chicken.
- Instead of canned chicken, you can use 2-3 cups of shredded rotisserie chicken. If you use rotisserie chicken, skip step 1 and go directly to step 2.
- This cranberry chicken salad recipe doubles beautifully. Depending on your pan size, you may need to heat the chicken in batches.
- You can make this recipe up to 2 days in advance. Just make sure you add the pecans and dried cranberries right before serving.
- If you serve this on large croissants, then you can get about 6-8 sandwiches out of this recipe. If you serve it on small croissants, then you can get 10-12 sandwiches out of this recipe.
Cook’s Tools and Ingredients – Chicken Salad:
More Holiday Lunch-in Recipes:
Here are a few recipes that are perfect for a ladies lunch or Christmas Cookies exchange. I love serving these chicken salad sandwiches with my Christmas Cranberry Salad. It’s a delicious fluff salad that is the perfect Christmas color and topped with pomegranate seeds. Another great option is to serve my Kinderpunsch (a non-alcoholic warm punch). Then for dessert, you can’t go wrong with this gorgeous Gingerbread Cake!
Cranberry Chicken Salad with Pecans
- 2 -12.5 oz canned and cooked chicken drained (I use Costco's house brand, Kirkland)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup dried Cranberries
- lettuce for servings
- 8 croissants for serving
- Place large non-stick skillet over medium high heat with olive oil. Drain chicken and cook in skillet until all the pink is gone (you may have to do this in batches depending on how big your skillet is). Place cooked chicken in large bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until cool, about 1 ½-2 hours.
- In a small bowl mix together cream, mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, poppy seeds, and orange zest until combined. Pour mixture over chicken and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add chopped celery and mix until combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- In a small pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add nuts and cook until toasted, about 2-3 minutes (they should be a little more than lightly browned and you’ll begin to smell them).
- Stir in toasted nuts and dried Cranberries just before serving. Serve with split croissants.
The photos you see above have recently been updated. Below is the original picture of this chicken salad recipe. Note: the picture below shows a double batch of this Cranberry Chicken Salad recipe which is enough to fit into a trifle dish!
Latest posts by Jillian (see all)
- Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies– Better than Lofthouse! - October 16, 2019
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew - October 12, 2019
- New York-Style Thin Crust Pizza - October 9, 2019