The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup recipe is a delicious substitute for the pantry staple, condensed soup. It’s great for adding to casseroles and soups.
For about $2.64, you can make 3 cups of homemade condensed chicken soup. It adds home-cooked flavor to your favorite recipes like New Mexico Style Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas and these Old Fashioned Chicken and Noodles.
Forget the canned, processed soups and spend a few minutes making this homemade Cream of Chicken soup instead. I use canned Cream of Chicken Soup when I have to, just as much as the next person. But if I had to pick, I would choose this homemade version every single time.
The comforting and creamy flavor of this homemade version is beyond comparison. It gives you an authentic home-cooked flavor that you cannot get with the processed stuff. I think you will agree after tasting this version, you will prefer it over the jellied stuff that comes out of the can.
Use this Cream of Chicken soup as a substitute for the can you buy in the store in all of your favorite casseroles, soups, and slow cooker meals.
Ingredients and Cost
Per Serving Cost: $0.88
Recipe Cost: $2.64
- 1/2 cup (8 Tablespoons) unsalted butter – $0.80
- 1 cup chicken stock – $0.31
- 1 cup milk or half-and-half – $0.75
- 6 Tablespoons all-purpose flour – $0.12
- 1 teaspoon salt – $0.01
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper – $0.03
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder – $0.01
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder – $0.01
- 1/2 cup cooked chicken – $0.60
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- You can make different versions of you favorite cream soups by just changing up the some of the ingredients. On my website I have recipes for Cream of Mushroom Soup Base and Cream of Celery Soup.
SERVE: You can keep this at room temperature for up to 2 hours before it will need to be refrigerated.
STORE: Keep this chicken condensed soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 1 week.
FREEZE: You can freeze this recipe in a freezer-safe container or Ziploc bag for 3-4 months. To do so, make sure the soup is completely cooled before placing it in a container. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight, and then heat in a saucepan until heated through. If the soup separates, then blend the soup with an immersion blender or pour it into a regular blender and blend until it comes together.
Cream of chicken soup is made of simple ingredients that you may already have on hand. This recipe calls for butter, flour, chicken stock, half-and-half, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and cooked chicken.
No, there is not a difference between condensed cream of chicken soup and cream of chicken soup. If it does not specify condensed soup, you can assume it is condensed.
Suppose you do not have cream of chicken soup or the ingredients to make it. In that case, you can easily substitute Cream of Celery (recipe coming soon) or even Cream of Mushroom (recipe coming soon) for the Cream of Chicken without overly altering the taste.
- Measuring spoons
- Liquid measuring cup
- Medium saucepan
More Chicken Recipes:
- Easy Chicken Barley Soup
- Chicken Divan Casserole
- Crockpot Whole Chicken
- Stovetop Chicken Souvlaki Recipe
- Grilled BBQ Chicken
- Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
- Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken and Gnocchi Soup Olive Garden Copycat
- Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chile Cream Sauce
- Easy Stovetop Chicken Fajitas
Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 6 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup milk or half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup chicken cooked and chopped
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour, so it makes a paste. Continue stirring and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in chicken stock and milk until smooth.
- Add salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Stir until combined.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 2-4 minutes.
- Stir in chicken.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Cool completely.
- Place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
ENTER YOUR NAME AND EMAIL AND GET MY DELICIOUS WEEKLY NEWSLETTER... IT'S FREE!
I love that you can freeze this! So much easier to make big batches to have on hand and ready to use.
Sally Humeniuk says
This looks like just what I need for cold nights but love that I can freeze it too! Great pictures of this recipe. Thanks for sharing!
I love this recipe! I never thought to make my own. So easy!
Beth Sachs says
Cream of chicken soup reminds me so much of my Grandma. I’m going to give this try for my kids this week. It’s so cold here, soup is the perfect lunch option.
So creamy and unbelievably quick to make!
Cheryl DeKoevend says
You can also make this Gluten Free by using
Gluten Free Flour. The measurements are the same.
Good to know, thanks!