This quick and easy Chicken Enchilada Soup recipe is cheesy, thick, and deliciously loaded with black beans, corn, tomatoes, green chile and cheese! The best part is that it’s ready in 30 minute or less!
Back-to-school time is upon us and for my family that means structure, routine, and nightly family dinners. Life gets busy again this time of year and dinner recipes need to be quick, easy, and delicious! And that’s where this Chicken Enchilada Soup recipe comes in!
I love this enchilada soup because it’s thick and cheesy! Plus it’s loaded with my favorite enchilada ingredients like chicken, corn, tomatoes, and green chilies. Then it’s topped off with tortilla strips, diced avocado, sour cream, and fresh chopped cilantro! This enchilada soup recipe calls for what else, enchilada sauce. You can pick some up from the grocery store or make your own. I have a fabulous homemade enchilada sauce recipe here.
Cook’s Note – Chicken Enchilada Soup:
- You can easily make this a vegetarian recipe. If you leave out the chicken just add in an additional can of black beans or a can of garbanzo beans.
- Leftover enchilada soup (well, IF there are any leftovers) can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- I like to round out this enchilada soup recipe with my favorite cornbread recipe. For timing purposes make the cornbread, pop it in the oven, and then prepare the enchilada soup while the cornbread bakes and cools.
Cook’s Tools and Ingredients – Chicken Enchilada Soup:
- cutting board
- chef knife
- large pot
- masa harina (with all of the extra masa that you’ll have left over, try making my Cheesecake Factory Copycat Sweet Corn Tamale Cakes)
ONE YEAR AGO: Breakfast Burrito Recipe
TWO YEARS AGO: Yogurt Parfait Breakfast Popsicles (these are my favorite for an on-the-go-breakfast)
THREE YEARS AGO: New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup masa harina (corn flour)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1¼ cups red enchilada sauce, homemade or store bought (store bought will be a 10 oz can)
- 1 (14-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10-ounce) can Rotel tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- salt to taste
- TOPPINGS: (optional):
- grated cheese
- chopped fresh cilantro
- sour cream
- tortilla strips
- diced avocado
- lime wedges
- In large pot over medium-high heat add oil and preheat for 1 minute. Add onion and sauté until onions are translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add masa harina and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Pour in chicken broth while stirring constantly; scraping up any brown bits from bottom of pot. Stir in chicken, enchilada sauce, black beans, Rotel, green chilies, and corn. Bring mixture to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn heat off and stir in cheese until melted and combined. Season with salt to taste. Serve with optional toppings.
Disclosure: This post for Chicken Enchilada Soup recipe includes affiliate links. This means I make a few cents if you buy the item after clicking my link. This costs you nothing, but it helps keep this blog running on butter…lots of butter! See the rest of Food Folks and Fun’s disclosure policy here.