Sausage and Peppers is a classic Italian-American comfort food dish; I’ve added my own spin on it by cooking it in the slow cooker! In this post you’ll also find make ahead and freezer meal directions!
Disclosure: This Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers recipe includes affiliate links, this means I make a few cents if you buy the item after clicking my link. This costs you nothing, but it helps keep this blog running on butter…lots of butter! See the rest of Food Folks and Fun’s disclosure policy here.
This Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers recipe is in one word: effortless! You literally dump all of the ingredients into the slow cooker insert and let it cook! This recipe is loaded with peppers, onion, and Italian sausage! I love this recipe because you make your own sauce to go along with it that is incredibly easy to make!
This Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers recipe is fabulous for week night dinners, and it’s a favorite for serving for game day, tailgating, and even pot lucks!
Cook’s Note – Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers:
- You can use a mix of hot, sweet or mild Italian sausage in this recipe, just use what you love! I personally like using a mix of hot and sweet.
- You can serve these on some nice Italian rolls or grinders like I did. They’re also delicious served over pasta or on their own!
- MAKE AHEAD DIRECTIONS: Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker insert and place in fridge overnight. When you’re ready to cook the sausage and peppers, place the insert on the slow cooker base, and cook on high for 30 minutes, and then on low for 6 hours.
- FREEZER MEAL DIRECTIONS: Place all of the ingredients in a zip-top freezer bag. Squeeze all of the air out of the bag before sealing the top, and place in the freezer. These sausage and peppers will keep in the freezer for up to 6 months. From the freezer, add everything to the slow cooker. Cook on high for 1 1/2 hours, and then on low for 6 hours.
Cook’s Tools – Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers:
- chef’s knife
- cutting board
- large slow cooker (This is the 3rd slow cooker I’ve tried, and the last one I’ll ever buy!)
ONE YEAR AGO: Pumpkin Cupcakes
TWO YEARS AGO: Pumpkin Blossom Cake
THEE YEARS AGO: Spicy Pumpkin Chili
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup Marsala wine or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- SAUSAGE MIXTURE:
- 8 Italian sausage links
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- FOR FINISHING:
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 8 fresh Italian sandwich rolls
- Place sauce ingredients in slow cooker and stir to combine. Add sausage, bell peppers, and onions; stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Stir in choped basil and serve over sandwich rolls.